Thursday, August 11, 2011

Take Me Out to the Ball Game

Tonight I am going to Target Field to watch the Minnesota Twins whoop up on the Boston Red Sox! Or, at least that is the outcome that I am hoping for. At this point the Twins have not won enough games to make it to the playoffs, but on the bright side maybe we will get to see Jim Thome hit his 600th career home run.  I wanted to make a sign to try and get Bert Blyleven to “circle me Bert”, but then I thought “oh wait, I am in the 300 sections, I am not sure that the TV camera’s pan that high up! And besides my nose will probably get a bleed and it will get on the sign anyways.”
After the game the Red Sox are going to go to Seattle and I am going to Boston. Boston is a beautiful city, and one you should put on your bucket list if you have never been there. Sadly I will not be spending very long in Boston proper, but I will take a shuttle down to Falmouth, Massachusetts to participate in the New Balance Falmouth Road Race.  I have never been to Falmouth before, but I am really looking forward to it. The course starts out in Woods Hole and winds its way along the coast line into the Falmouth. The course footage provided by the race organization and pictures from past races make it look very picturesque! Not that I will be admiring the scenery during the race, but rather sizing up the competition.

Course Tour Video



Another unique aspect about the New Balance Falmouth Road Race is that competitors don’t stay at a hotel over the race weekend, but rather with a host family. I have never done this before for a race, but I am looking forward to it also because I think it will be more relaxing – a home away from home.  I will be staying with a good friend of mine Bob Gusmini who I originally met at the World’s Best 10K in San Juan, Puerto Rico.  After the race Bob will be holding a very lively BBQ at his house. If my training in the past few weeks is any indication, I hope there will be a lot to celebrate at the BBQ.

Tune in next week for race results! 
P.S. The Twinkies won last night, breaking their 5 game losing streak. We had a blast!

No comments:

Post a Comment