Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Color Blind


How something as simple as a color can be such a strong metaphor is beyond me, but nonetheless you can find colorful metaphors used in literature everywhere. Examples can be found almost every time you crack open another spine; The Color Purple by Alice Walker and one of my favorite books and authors The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende, just to name a few. But why am I talking about colors and metaphors? This is a blog about running right! Well, the answer, you will soon see is because last night I came upon the most beautiful running metaphor ever…DRUM ROLL PLEASE:


“Many people openly express their disbelief that someone would deliberately choose to run. As a runner, you have probably heard it all: ‘I only run when I am being chased.’ ‘How can you just run?’ 'I hate running!’ ‘I don’t understand how someone can run for fun.’”  Well now I have my answer, complete with a colorful metaphor. “’ Pretend I am a person who can only see the world in black-and-white. Now imagine you need to explain to me what the color blue looks like. How would you do it?’
Valerie thought for a moment and then began with a confident ‘Blue is like…’ She Paused. Her eyes rolled up as she searched the ceiling and walls of the office for a single word that could help me understand blue. I stopped her before she tried to speak again.
‘That is exactly what it is like trying to explain running to a non-runner. Being a runner is like being able to see the color blue. When two people share these common experiences, they do not need to talk about them or try to describe them in words. But without common experience, it is difficult for me, or any other runner, to help you understand why we are so passionate about this sport. If you really want answers, you need to become a runner and develop color vision.’”

This excerpt is from the book just released called Running the Edge by Adam Goucher and Tim Catalano.  I got my copy in the mail last week, signed by the authors and everything…if you don’t have a copy yet I highly suggest that you pick one up. The small section I have included here is only the tip of the iceberg. Anyhow, when I read this metaphor for running, big yellow light bulbs went off all around my head because even though unfortunately it is not my own original idea, it is a simple and profound way to explain to those people that I encounter almost every day why they can’t understand why I love to run.


My love of running has taken my many amazing places in my life, and I hope that it will take me to a lot more. This past weekend it took me to the small city of New Haven, CT (also the home of Yale University) where I competed in the USA 20K Championships where I placed 7th in a time of 1:10:28.  I was in 4th place for a long time, chasing down 3rd, but a stiff early pace and the need to get in some more long workouts and runs left me running on fumes that last few miles. I am happy with the race, as it is a good measure of my current level of fitness…but now it is back to the roads and more training. I am going to get stronger and more fit as the fall progresses and make my way towards the USA Marathon Trials in January.

Next up of the race calendar: CVS Caremark Downtown 5K/USA 5K Championships on Sept. 18th
Wish me luck! 

1 comment: