Sunday, September 25, 2011

Bittersweet


This week didn’t exactly go how I imagined it would.

The week started off on a high, having returned home from the CVS/Pharmacy Downtown 5K/ USA 5K championships where I placed 5th by a nose (the wrong side of the nose)! I placed 5th by .02 seconds….going up the final hill – a ¼ mile sprint uphill to the finish. 4th place was two steps in front of me and 3rd was 15m ahead. Both women looked like they were just hanging on for the finish. I saw my opening, I looked up at 3rd place and said “I think I can do it” and started gunning for the finish line. I passed Sara Hall in 4th place and was still running as hard as I could closing on 3rd, but then out of the corner of my eye I saw that Sara hadn’t given up yet. We were both sprinting with every ounce of energy we had to get to the finish line. I was so focused on the finish I felt like I couldn’t even see; all the energy was going to my legs, willing them to carry me ever faster. In the end Sara was able to just out-lean me at the line and Emily Brown in 3rd place was able to stay 2 seconds out of reach. My final time: 15:58 and new road 5K PR. I walked away with my head held high because I knew I gave it everything I had and was happy to run as quickly as I did considering that I am training for a marathon, not the 5K. I think this race was a reflection of how strong I am getting with my training. Hopefully that strength will pay off next weekend in the Medtronic TC 10 mile/ USA 10 mile Championships, which are hosted by Twin Cities in Motion right here in my own back yard!


However, once hump day rolled around, what had started out as a great week quickly hit rock bottom. Early Wednesday morning I got an email from Dennis saying that one of the men on the Augsburg Cross Country team had been killed in a hit and run late on Tuesday night. Jason Stevens was a freshman on our team and double majoring in Physics and Calculus. The team was crushed by sadness and anger. “How can someone just drive away?” “Why did this happen? The loss of a great friend and strong competitor brought the Auggies to their emotional knees. Yet, as I watched the team and tried to be a strong shoulder to cry on, what I witnessed was amazing. This huge loss brought this team even closer together than they were previously; they each learned that their teammates were people that they could rely on even in the toughest of situations. They came back two days later and had some of the best workouts of their lives.  My wish is that they can continue to honor the memory of Jason by competing with as much heart and guts as Jason did. Rest in peace Jason, and know that you were loved by many.

No comments:

Post a Comment