Saturday, October 1, 2011

The Great Equalizer




This Sunday plays host to the largest running event in Minnesota: the 30th running of the Medtronic Twin Cities Marathon and a host of other Twin Cities in Motion races – including the Medtronic TC 10mile/ USA 10mile Championships. It is always an exciting weekend with lots of events to attend and there is a special kind of buzz in the air as thousands and thousands of runners gear up for the races. Walk into any local grocery store and their PowerAde and Gatorade stocks have been depleted, the massage therapist I see, Gregg Sievsind was booked solid all week doing at least 9 one-hour massages per day, and the port-a-potty companies’ employees have to be well into overtime by now.

To add to all the excitement, Twin Cities in Motion has thrown an additional curve-ball into to the 10mile championship race – the Equalizer! The women’s championship race will start 7 minutes before the men’s championship race. The first runner to cross the finish line 10 miles later, man or woman, will win an extra $10,000!

It is going to be a good race, both fields are stacked – official race entries HERE.

Another popular blog here in the Twin Cities, Down the Backstretch, posed the question: “Yes/No: Will a male runner win the “Equalizer Bonus” at the 2011 USA 10 Mile Championships?”. The blog argues that a man will win the equalizer, but I personally believe a woman will win. I think it is going to be a great race that comes down to the final 400m downhill finish but I think a woman will prevail in the end. I don’t really have an argument for why I think this, other than it is just a gut feeling. I guess tomorrow at around 8am we will find out.

Tune into the race live at http://www.runnerspace.com/USA-10mile

I finished 4th at this race last year in a time of 55:20, cheer me on to a podium spot and let me know your prediction --Who do you think is going to win? Man or woman?!

Pre-Race Interview: 

No comments:

Post a Comment