Monday, October 24, 2011

Meghan's Patented Weight Loss Formula: Lose one pound per hour!


I left off last week with a mission to find out how much fluid I lose per hour when running hard. Last Thursday before a hard workout of 2 ½ mile repeats I weighed myself right before I headed out the door and again an hour and half later when I returned to the gym exhausted.  I hopped on the scale and it said I was 1.5lbs lighter than when I started out that morning. I hope that doesn’t make me too unfeminine, because women don’t sweat right?!   That means that on this day I lost approximately 16 oz of fluid per hour (actually 15.3 fluid ounces using 1.043 dry ounces = 1 water ounce near sea level, but I would rather round up slightly than down). However, I think I will test this out a few more times before the marathon in January, because I want to make sure that I get a good average.

Earlier this morning I was filling out the “fluids form” provided by the Houston Marathon Committee, and I was able to find out where they will have the fluid tables set up on the day of the marathon.

Mile 3.2,  Mile 6.0,  Mile 8.6,  Mile 11.2,  Mile 14.0, Mile 16.6,  Mile 19.2,  Mile 22.0,  Mile 24.6

If my average sweat rate does indeed turn out to be 16floz per hour than I will need to consume 2 cups of fluid per hour in the marathon for a total of about 5 cups during the entire race. As you can see above there will be 9 fluid stations available. So between now and January I will need to devise a plan of how to use those 9 stations to get in all the fluids that I will need to help me run my best. But before I can decide on the best approach I will need to do some more experiments. The most important of these being, how much fluid I can comfortably consume while running sub 6min mile pace.  It sounds so easy to just take a drink, but when you take into account that I hope to be running 5:50-5:45 pace or faster, breathing hard, carrying a bottle along for a short ways, and trying to contend with the other women in the race to get to my bottle, you quickly realize it is more than just taking a drink. More aptly put by another fantastic runner, Lauren Fleshman, “When you have never done a marathon, it isscary as s%#!

Lauren is currently training for the ING New York City Marathon, which will be her first. I have really enjoyed reading her humorous blogs posts as she trains for the 5 boroughs marathon. I am really pumped to get to be in NYC on the weekend of the marathon where I will compete in the NYRR Dash to the Finish Line 5K the day before I watch Lauren and another inspirational runner – Jen Rhines – compete in the ING New York City Marathon! 

Good luck to these ladies and to any of my readers who will be running. I will be cheering loudly and losing my voice in all the excitement! 

No comments:

Post a Comment