Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Marathon Week Interview


A nice interview done by Lance Bergeson from the Des Moines Register...

Meghan Armstrong Peyton will be a huge wild card when the U.S. Olympic Marathon Trials begin on the morning of Jan. 14 in Houston.
The former University of Iowa four-time All-American has a half marathon best of 1 hour, 13 minutes, 43 seconds and finished a respectable fifth at the 2011 USA 5-kilometer and 15k championships and sixth at the 10-mile championships last year.
But the 25-year-old Team USA Minnesota runner has never attempted the marathon distance.
“Obviously since it’s my first one I have some trepidation going into it,” Peyton, pictured, said Tuesday. “I’m nervous, but I believe that when I get to the hard part of the race, mile 20, I have to believe in the hard work and training I did. I’ve done the best training I can.
“I would really like to think that I am a wild card. I intend to be vying for one of the top spots. That’s my goal.”
Peyton is a track runner by nature. She was the 2008 Big Ten champion in both the indoor 3,000 meters and the outdoor 10,000. She also holds the Iowa school record in the 1,500 meters (4:17.41).
She didn’t believe it was too much of a strech to try a marathon, especially after taking seventh at the Dec. 4 Las Vegas half marathon during a difficult training cycle.
“I told (coach) Dennis (Barker) when we first went into this that I didn’t have a desire just to do a marathon,” Peyton said. “I wanted to do it to be a contender (at the trials). I did some soul-searching before I started training. I did think I could do it. He (Barker) thought I had the talent to do it.”
Peyton has mixed fast-paced tempo runs with longer runs. She had never gone past 18 miles until training for the marathon. She has bumped up her mileage from 90 miles to 110 during her marathon cycle. She even completed the marathon distance on a treadmill to acclimate herself to any possible heat Houston will have.
“I’ve tended to trade off between fast workouts and marathon workouts to work every muscle fiber,” said Peyton, a physiology major at Iowa. “I’m a strong believer in working every system. Knowing that I can cover the distance definitely gives me the confidence that I can make it through the race.
“The biggest thing I learned about myself is that I’m stronger than I previously have known. I’ve put in these long runs without added effort.”
The Oregon native has taken advantage of a mild November and December in the Twin Cities. “We have really lucked out,” she said.
Peyton also vacationed with her husband’s family in Hawaii for nine days over Christmas. After returning from Maui, she was instructed by her coach to do all of her final workouts on a treadmill to maintain the benefits of training in the Hawaii heat.
“Probably the biggest factor is the heat (in Houston),” Peyton said. “I’ve practiced taking in my fluids. That shouldn’t be a drawback. I’ve got to hope for the best for the weather. I’ve covered my bases with my treadmill training.”
All of the racing Peyton did in 2011, which included a win in the Miami Half Marathon, has prepared her for the race conditions she’ll face in Houston.
“I definitely think it (2011 racing season) was a big step in the right direction,” Peyton said. “It was fun to go out to these races and be in the hunt and post fast times.”
Peyton knows she has to be smart with the marathon. She cannot go out too fast or risk having a meltdown in Texas’ largest city.
“I want to get in a pace that’s in the 5:45 or 5:50 range,” Peyton said. “Clip away the first 10 or 15 miles or so and then really drive it home from there. It will come down to the day and how I feel from there. The biggest thing is not to get too anxious and believe in myself.”
UP NEXT: West Des Moines’ Jason Flogel has battled to stay healthy for his first Olympic marathon trials race.
To read more about running and triathlons, follow me on Twitter (@LanceBergeson)

No comments:

Post a Comment