Tuesday, January 3, 2012

T-minus 10 days to the OT Marathon!


Happy New Year! It is now T-minus 10 days. I can’t believe it is the last two weeks of training before the Olympic Trials Marathon. Our holiday trip to Hawaii flew by. Cole and I spent 9 wonderful days with the Peyton side of the family on the island of Maui. The trip was planned over a year ago, but it turned out to be perfect timing to get in some great heat training just in time for the marathon.

Since returning to Minneapolis, I have strict instructions to do all my runs on the treadmill so that I can maintain any benefits that I got while in Maui. Because although by Minnesota standards this is still a very mild winter, the mercury here is still far below any thermometers you will find in Houston. I don’t have any room to complain though, because at this point in my marathon cycle the runs are far shorter than ones that I completed just a few weeks ago.

My taper has really kicked in now. This week I am only scheduled to run 61 miles and next week in the 40’s and that includes the 26.2 mile race. The legs are feeling good and alive! It’s a feeling one only understands after putting your body through the ringer week, after week, after week. Like a New Years Eve firework…you light the fuse and the rocket works so hard to obtain lift-off, and it continues to burn and work as it gains altitude, and finally BANG! All of the remaining energy is put into one brilliant and beautiful moment. For me, that moment will begin with the BANG of the gun at 8:15am on Saturday January 14, 2012!

If you need some inspiration, or a reason to tune in to NBC’s broadcast of the trials then take a look at this short video clip that features four of my Team USA Minnesota teammates! I got goosebumps watching it. 

                                                              WATCH HERE!

Make sure to stay tuned next week for the final countdown.
GO TEAM USA! 


No comments:

Post a Comment